Monday 17 May 2010

Portfolio task 1

Students in a 6th grade, where I use to teach, showed me a web-site where they practice their vocabulary. The web-site is called glosboken. This is a fun way to practice vocabulary, better then the old fashioned way with pencil and paper. This is one way for the pupils to use ICT in their English learning. I think this is a useful and creative way to learn new words, that is why I want to tell you about this web-sit. I hope you will like it too.

Here is the address:

http://www.glosboken.se/pages/go.php?&language=en

You just have to create a user and the logon to this web-site, you can logon as a pupil or as a teacher or as a parent. Glosboken is useful in many ways, you can create exercises and make vocabulary lists. You do not have to make your own exercises, you can fetch pre-made exercises if you want to. You can learn your vocabulary by using this friendly exercise system, where the computer asks you questions based on the Flashcard theroy. You can print the vocabulary list as Flashcards, if you want to. You may even print the vocabulary list if you want to practice them in the old fashioned way.

This is not a complicated web-site, just follow the instructions and do as you are told, then everything will work out just fine. The teacher, parents or students writes the word that the student will practice. This is a fun way to learn new words and the pupils may use ICT and their computers in their learning. I hope you will find this website useful and fun.

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of this site so the first thing I did was to visit it and try to get a view on how the arrangement on the site looked like and what it was about. I absolutely think that this site can be a good ICT tool to use if your purpose as a teacher is to get the children to practice on their vocabulary.
    Like any other websites it both has advantages and disadvantages. One thing that I thought was good about it was that I as a teacher can create exercises and vocabulary lists that suit the children I am teaching at the moment. I also can make tests of different levels of difficulty according to their skill levels. You also get the opportunity to choose from already made tasks and that can be helpful if you do not have a good imagination. The students can create their own exercises and I believe that this can be motivating and stimulating for them. This may make them feel that they are more involved in their own learning and that this is a fun and different task.
    As you mentioned, you only have to create a user name and have internet access then you can start using the website. There are no fees involved which are a good thing for the school.
    You described it as an easy-to-use website and I agree with you to some extent. But at the same time I feel that it is really important for me as a teacher to learn the basics of how the site works before I present it to the pupils because otherwise I believe that the students may get distracted or overwhelmed by all the information given to them when they first visit the page.
    One last thing that I noticed was that I personally found the website layout to be quite boring and maybe more suitable for older children who do not require the same stimuli via colors and shapes that younger children may respond better to.

    ReplyDelete